The Interior Review
Discover the style power of area rugs
While furniture may be the main star of any room, area rugs most definitely deserve the title of best supporting accessory. Possessing the ability to visually tie a room together, add depth, and even the illusion of more space, the real beauty of area rugs is the endless style options they provide. From bold colors in contemporary patterns to neutral classics, our virtual rug gallery has nearly 300 styles to dress your floors. And here, we offer tips on how to maximize their style.
1. Choose the right size: Area rugs define your space, so it will shrink the room if you go too small. As a general rule of thumb, the area rug should be big enough so the front legs of your furniture are on it, or two feet beyond each side of the bed. Conversely, there should be at least 18 inches between the edge of the rug and your walls.
2. Choose the right color and pattern: If the majority of your furniture is one solid color, create some visual interest in the room with a bold color or pattern. Area rugs are an easy and relatively inexpensive way to completely change the look of your room. And if your upholstery or walls already have an ornate design, allow the area rug to take a focal backseat and go with a neutral color or tonal pattern.
3. Consider the room: For example, if your rug is going near the front door or underneath your dining room table, go for a color and material that can withstand frequent traffic and cleanups when necessary. If the room lets in a lot of sunlight, choose a color that won’t fade over time.
4. Consider the adjoining room: While the rugs in the next room certainly don’t have to match, they should complement each other. Make sure the patterns and materials don’t contrast, and the colors are in the same family.
5. Cover any surface: Even if the room has wall-to-wall carpet, area rugs add a certain cozy factor that isn’t just reserved for rooms with tile and wood. Furthermore, don’t be afraid to use a rug in a children’s room, dining room, or even an eat-in kitchen. The right materials will clean easily when needed, and the style impact is huge.
The Kevin Charles Briget sofa offers luxury at a value
Offering beautiful furniture at affordable prices is what City Furniture does best, and we’re proud to sell a wide range of merchandise that makes luxurious dream homes an attainable reality. And while we have many examples to choose from, one of our favorites—and best-selling—is the lovely Briget sofa.
Designed with a versatile look that complements every home from coastal to classic, the Briget sofa brings effortless style straight into your living room. From the polished nailhead trim to the assorted throw pillows, every stitch of this City Furniture exclusive is made with care at Kevin Charles Fine Upholstery in Mississippi. And with a price tag of just $599.95, it’s just the design deal that defines our furniture philosophy.