Entertaining this holiday season? Then it’s time to get your table dressed to impress—after all, if the food is the star of the show, then your tablescape is the supporting cast.
But if you just can’t remember where the salad fork goes or how to fold the perfect napkin, we’ve got you covered. Here, we’ll show you how to set a casual table for friendly settings, and a more formal version for when you’re feeling fancy.
And because Thanksgiving is just around the corner, we’re getting extra festive with a turkey napkin crash course. Gobble, gobble!
The Formal Table
We promise, even Martha would approve. If your holiday affair includes multiple courses and a more formal feel, go for the traditional table setting.
The Casual Table
Of course, since the holidays are all about kicking back and enjoying time with friends, we also love the idea of keeping things a little more casual.
The Pocket Napkin:
This tri-fold design adds bonus polish to your table setting, and we promise it’s easier than it looks! Watch the video to get the live tutorial, or follow these steps below:
- Lay the napkin flat and fold into quarters, with the seams facing out.
- Fold down the corner of the top layer, diagonally to meet the bottom corner.
- Take the corner of the second layer and fold it down, tucking the corner behind the first layer.
- Now take the corner of the third layer and fold it down, tucking the corner behind the second layer.
- Turn the folded napkin face down on the table, and fold in both the left and right sides.
- Finish by turning the napkin back over and placing a utensil in each pocket.
We can’t think of anything cuter than this turkey napkin to set the table—and the mood—for your Thanksgiving feast. All it takes is a simple accordion napkin fold paired with a small squash. You can get a fake one at your local craft store or grab the real deal at the grocery store. And whether you opt to add eyes and a gobbler or keep it classic, the results are adorable! Watch the video for more, and step-by-step folding directions here:
- Lay the napkin face down and fold in half lengthwise.
- Starting at the bottom, make a series of accordion-style folds until you’re 4 to 5 inches from the top.
- Carefully flip the napkin over so the folds are underneath and facing you horizontally.
- Now, fold the napkin in half lengthwise, to the left, and give the napkin a turn so the folds run vertically on the left side.
- Take the top right corner and fold it down towards the accordion section, creating a triangle shape.
- Tuck the corner into the center of the folds, and align seams so the triangle is even.
- Stand upright and let the napkin fan out.